Saturday, July 4, 2009

Mexican Bean and Pasta Salad

This is a recipe that I developed while living on our boat in Mexico. I began with a great recipe for Bean Salad that had given me 30 years or so ago and I decided to try to "spice it up" just a little. When I make it I seem to just put it all in a bowl and mix it up so I never wrote down any amounts. I will take a stab at the amounts here but please experiment for your own tastes.


For the dressing mix together the following in a large bowl and stir well to dissolve the sugar.
1/2 C. Salad Oil
1/2 C. Vinegar (white or cider work well)
3/4 C. Sugar
1/2 tsp salt, pepper
1-2 tsp Cumin depending on taste

To the dressing add the following -
1 can Black Beans drained and rinsed
1 can Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
1 can Garbanzo Beans drained and rinsed
10 - 16 oz Salad pasta or Elbow Macaroni, cooked, drained and rinsed with cold water
2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped fine
1 cup Cilantro (picked from the stems, washed and dried)
4-5 Roma (Plum) tomatoes chopped

Mix it all together and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld. You can leave out an item here and there or make substitutions but the cumin, tomato and cilantro are must haves.

No comments:

Post a Comment