This is a friendlier version of Shirley Corriher's "Touch of Grace" Biscuits.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 butter-flavored Crisco shortening
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream *
- 2/3 cup buttermilk **
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Place rack of oven slightly below center and place baking stone on it.
- Preheat oven to 425 F for 45 minutes to ensure stone is good and hot.
- Spray a 9" cake pan with non-stick spray.
- In large bowl whisk together , flour, sugar, salt thoroughly.
- Work in shortening with fingers until lump free.
- Gently stir in heavy whipping cream.
- Then add half of the buttermilk to flour mix folding gently. Then add remainder of buttermilk (more if necessary) until dough resembles cottage cheese. Dough should be wet and loose.
- Using a round ice cream scoop or equivalent, scoop dough and place into prepared pan with dough balls pushed against each other. If you run out of room, make space with a spatula and get another ball in pan.
- Place pan on stone and bake for 25 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Invert onto one plate and back again to another plate.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Serve immediately with your favorite preserves.
** Substitute for buttermilk: 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar.
Check my other blog: Southern Flavor Zone