- 2 cups small dried long, red chilies (in Mexico we called them Rat Tail Chilies)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 T fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cardamon seed pods (optional)
- Remove the stems (and seeds as well, if you want to tame the fire) from the chilies. Cover them with boiling water and let stand until softened, 30 minutes or so.
- Toast the cumin in a dry heavy skillet until color darkens and the aroma becomes for fragrant.
- Drain the chilies, reserving a bit of the liquid.
- Place the chilies, onion, garlic, seasonings, and a tiny bit of the soaking water in a food processor and puree.
Serve with Bali Chicken
Refrigerate covered for up to 2 weeks