Yield: 16 cookies
Prep: 30 min
Refrigerate: 30 min
Bake: 12 min
- 1 1/2 cups pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, divided
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 lg eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Arrange a shelf in the middle of the oven and place a baking stone on it. Preheat oven to 350F
- Spread nuts on a baking sheet, place in the oven on the stone, and roast for 10-12 min. While nuts are hot, stir in 2 TBL butter. Set aside.
- Turn oven up to 375F. Spray several heavy baking sheets with nonstick spray and line with release foil (nonstick side up). Set aside.
- In medium saucepan, melt remaining 6 TBL butter over medium heat. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Let stand for 1 min., and then stir. If all chocolate is not melted, place pan on very low heat for 1 min, remove, and stir. Let stand for 1 min, remove, and stir. Let stand for 1 min. and continue stirring. Repeat until all chocolate is melted. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla at high speed with an electric mixer for 2-3 min, or until light and pale yellow. Turn mixer down to low and pour in chocolate.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine flour and baking powder, beating well with electric mixer. Stir flour into batter in several batches. Scrape down bowl and across bottom. Stir in roasted nuts.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20-30 min. Using a 2-inch (#30) ice cream scoop, scoop dough place portions approx. 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 1 sheet at a time.
- Place baking sheet in oven on stone. Bake for exactly 12 min. Cool for 3-5 min. Best sered warm, but you can reheat each cookie in the microwave for 10 seconds for running centers. You can freeze cookies and thaw or microwave as you like.
Check my other blog: Southern Flavor Zone