This is a fantastic chutney that Kirby says is a real "Keeper". He is putting it on everything! It has just the right amount of sweet and sour with a touch of curry powder. We served it with some pork curry and Chicken Tikka. It was perfect!
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper lakes (optional)
- 2 cups dates, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 - 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 T red wine vinegar
- 2 oz. brandy
- 1/2 - 1 cup water
- Place a medium sized stainless steel saucepan over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and saute onions until soft but not colored.
- Add garlic, ginger, and chile, and continue cooking 2 minutes.
- Add dates, curry powder, raisins, sugar, vinegar, and brandy and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, approximately 20 minutes or until liquid is reduce to a syrup. (add water as necessary to keep it from drying out.)
Serve at room temperature or slightly warm to release the full flavors of the fruit. Store, covered in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.